Latent Geek

Monday, July 24, 2006

And so it begins!
This is an historic moment folk. My first blog entry! So why bother? Well for one I believe that the Blog-culture is a powerful, growing movement that captures the chaotic, anarchistic viral nature that has made the Internet a defining force of modern culture and secondly I LOVE the way Blogging gives every man, woman and child a voice. And a loud one at that! Everyday Joe's who before experience bad service can blog about it and hang a corporate giants big corporate dirty undies out on the virtual washing line for everyone to see. Think of what 'Dell Hell' on buzzmachine.com Did to the mighty Dell, or the PR nightmare that AT&T suffered when one of their consumers tried to cancel their subscription and posted a recording of the atrocious customer service they received. Yes my friends the worm has turned. The consumer is in control!
Over a beer with friends at the weekend, we were having a conversation about how our purchasing behavior has been completely redefined by the Internet. If you're anything like me (God help you!) you've probably handed over a fair amount of your hard-earned cash to a virtual shop assistant, in a virtual shop for, well virtually anything! From Pizzas (yes you can order Domino's online!) to cars, holidays, your weekly groceries.. frankly ANYTHING that a few years ago would have meant a hell of a lot of time trudging round various outlets, seeing who had stock of what and at what price, can all be done in a fraction of the time via the Internet. Personally, even if I'm going to make a purchase in a shop, chances are I'll Google it first and see what people have to say. And the opinions you (or at least I) trust the most are the ones that are offered by other consumers.
I guess if I have to put a line in the sand as to what the purpose of this blog is it is to reach-out to others interested in the Technology Market and in the effects of Consumer Generated Media. I'll also be using it as a vent for my ramblings on various technologies and gadgets :)
Here endith my first entry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home